You may feel like the character in Warren Zevon’s song, but it really isn’t that bad. You just need to deal with it. If you have been served a collection lawsuit, DO NOT IGNORE IT. Call or e-mail us for a free consultation to explore your options.
The creditor may do nasty things to you if you do nothing and let a judgment get entered against you. The creditor may:
- Garnish or attempt to garnish your wages.
- Freeze and garnish bank accounts without prior notice—depriving you of funds and causing checks to bounce or other bills to remain unpaid.
- Obtain a judgment that will stay on your credit for seven years and is collectable for twenty.
- The judgment could interfere with financing a car, house, renting an apartment or even employment.
- Make you do a debtor’s exam and/or require you to attend court appearances.
- Cause you to be jailed if you do not appear for a debtor’s exam.
You can usually avoid all of the above.
I can file your Answer, settle and/or defend the lawsuit, and you can probably avoid having to go to Court.
My fee plus any settlement is usually substantially less than you would pay on a judgment. Payments are available.
Call me BEFORE you give any collector your personal financial information.
Know the traps of representing yourself.